Conquering applique aversion, for finish #3

As I progress toward my goal of completing twelve UFOs this year, I am focusing on some of the oldest ones first. This project was begun in 2001, I think, as I was trying to learn needle-turn applique. The teacher, Debbie, is a very skilled applique artist and a superb educator – patient with even the most ham-fisted students, generous with her time, and so knowledgeable! But in spite of her best efforts, I just couldn’t get the hang of it, so my “Dutch Bouquet” became a long lost UFO. No more hand applique for me, I said.

After trying some new applique techniques, I decided to give the A-word another go, and I’m glad I did. It requires a LOT of prep work with freezer-paper templates, starch, the iron, and glue, but the results are pretty darn good.DSC00698

Looks just the same as needle-turn, and I can actually do it and be satisfied with the appearance.DSC00700

My next applique project won’t have so many little skinny, weird-shaped leaves, though…DSC00699With the center done (a couple weeks worth of evenings), I was ready to pick fabrics for the borders. I’m sure I must have had something in mind when I started this fifteen years ago, but I guess I must have used that fabric for something else…DSC00701

When it came to quilting it, I realized how rusty I have become at machine quilting. I need to practice, and this was as a good place as any to begin brushing up on those skills too. I enjoy binding, so that was easy. Then for hanging it up, I used the triangles-in-the-corners method instead of a sleeve. It works great for a small piece like this.

DSC00702

DONE!

DSC00703 This is number three of twelve for 2016, and I’m still on schedule. I actually completed this by the end of February, and am working on the next one – stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by!